Wednesday, September 22, 2010

B Sides R Hits 2 Me

In less than 24 hours we will be rockin' out to Tom Petty! We are totally ready! Outfits picked and plans made! We are taking off a half day tomorrow and all day Friday to celebrate Tom Petty in Tulsa! The limo arrives at 5pm to take us downtown Tulsa for some Spirits before the show.
All day today I filtered my iPod to play nothing but Tom Petty. It made me excited about what I wanted to post about today. B-sides!
What exactly is a B-side? Back when 45s were the thing, they were the secondary song on the other side of the "hit" record. You can touch up on your vinyl knowledge here. Let's face it...we are almost out of the CD era already and our hard drives are overflowing with digital music files. I guess now a B-side is kind of an antique, huh?
Tom Petty has been around long enough to have them. And if you are lucky to own it, he has one whole "album" dedicated to B-sides in his box set Playback. Disc 4 is called The Other Sides and it holds one of my favorite Tom Petty B-sides, Gator on the Lawn. This one reminds me of Marley. She loves to do a gator roll and she TOTALLY would steal a steak off the counter. To be completely honest, I have no idea what this song is really supposed to mean! It is just a funny, catchy tune. Catch it here!
Another fun song is Spike. I am not sure if it is officially considered a B-side, but it is on the album Southern Accents.
Music has such an effect on me. Hearing a certain song gives me butterflies in my tummy and I can feel the memory in my body. Tom Petty's music has been with me for so much of my life, so there are soooo many of his songs that have that strong effect. Music is what I collect, and I love to boast about the "pieces" that I have of his.
I also collect coffee mugs, but they are harder to store, and they don't create memories or make me feel nearly and good inside!


No comments:

Post a Comment