
As hard as it is to pick one favorite of ANYTHING by Tom Petty, I am going to try for a few seconds. Full Moon Fever gets credit for favorite Tom Petty album. This is really the album that started it all for me. This was Tom's first solo album. I know that I had heard a lot of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' tunes growing up, but this one is what made me the freak that I am about his music. I remember my art teacher playing this album over and over my Sophmore year of high school. Although my memories are less than pleasant of said art teacher, I do have to hand it to him for having great taste in tunes. This album has been played front to back and back to front over and over and over for years! Pop it in and you are sure to be instantly happy!
Here is the track listing...let's see what we have...
1. Free Fallin' - We are all familiar with this one from our Friday commute home from work. We know we all crank this one and scream at the top of our lungs like Tom Cruise in Jerry McGuire. Don't even try to deny it. It is impossible to not belt this one out. Especially when you don't have an audience.
2. I Won't Back Down - This is always a good "In your face" kind of song. Not in a bad way, but it always gives me strength when I hear it. Makes me proud of my "strong personality", as one may say.
5. Runnin' Down a Dream - This one totally brings back memories. It reminds me of Homecoming of 1989 in DeForest (because it was played a lot that year) as well as the first time Troy and I were lucky enough to see Tom Petty in Madison, WI. We had just gotten word that we would be transferring for Troy's new job at 3M. We had floor seats on the end in the middle. Great view and a great show! They opened with this song, so now when it comes on I am instantly transported back to that concert. The opening guitar gives me the chills. I can still feel the huge smile on my face as he walked out on stage.
6. I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better - This one is a cover of the song by The Byrds. You know...I have to say I did not know this for a long time! I love learning new things, and this is one of them. I never knew credit was to be given to someone other than TP on this one. Thank You Internet!
7. Yer So Bad - A really fun song that I really wish I could play on the guitar. Still one of my goals in life. Probably waaay far off, but still on the list nonetheless!
10. Alright for Now
12. Zombie Zoo - Probably one of my all time faves. Sooo fun and definitely worthy of the repeat button!
Mid way through the album, on the CD version there is a fun spoken track of Tom Petty explaining that we need to give the people with cassette and record players a break since they have to turn it over before hearing Side B.
"Hello, CD listeners. We've come to the point in this album where those listening on cassette, or records, will have to stand up, or sit down, and turn over the record, or tape. In fairness to those listeners, we'll now take a few seconds before we begin side two...Thank you. Here's side two."
I know you already have this album in your collection. I mean, you are friends with me...so that is a given, right? If you don't, pretend you do, but go get it now! I will make it easy for you...HERE!



No comments:
Post a Comment